British Airways is considered to be the largest international carrier in the world. The competition is highly competitive for those who want to become a flight attendant for British Airways.
1 Meet the age requirement for employment. The average age for a flight attendant is between 21 and 55.
- Complete the employment application form. The process can be completed in two formats.
- The applicant can complete the application form on line via the airline website.
- Airlines also offer “open house interviews.” These interviews are similar to a casting call for actors.
- Open house ads are published in local newspapers indicating time and place. Appointments are not required for this type of interview.
3 Prepare for the assessment. The assessment is a face-to-face interview with an airline representative. The interviewer will listen and visually evaluate the applicant’s strengths and weaknesses. Some of the general assessment factors are:
- Weight Due to the limit in aisle space, size is important and must be in proportion to height.
- Height Most airlines have specific height requirements. The average height for a flight attendant is between 5 feet, 2 inches (1.5748 meters), and 5 feet, 9 inches (1.8034 meters).
- College credits – British Airways focuses on portraying its staff as professional, efficient and intelligent.
- Communication skills Flight attendants will interact with diverse ethnicities, cultures, age groups and races.
- Good physical condition The position will require constant lifting, pushing and long periods of standing.
- Free from chronic conditions – The recycled air can be harmful to a weak immune system.
4 Aim for the follow-up interview. The follow-up consists of:
- Personality test.
- Written and video tests.
- Skills, experience and training questions.
- Role play or scenario test.
5 Pass the background check required by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) and Homeland Security.
- The check will be required for employees that will have direct contact with children or adults who are deemed vulnerable.
- The background check will include a criminal history of the applicant.
- Employment and references will be confirmed.
- Accept or reject the salary offer. The average flight attendant salary starts at $39,000 annually.
- The pay is based on actual flight time.
- Flight time starts when the airplane leaves the gate.
- Personality test.